Thursday, June 9, 2016

Dragon Boat Festival 2016

Happy Dragon Boat Festival!  I could have sworn I had a post about the history of this festival, but when I checked previous posts I only found a rather morbid comic I'd posted about suicide (related to the festival, I swear!)

Most people know about Dragon Boat races and eating zongzi in relation to this holiday.  There are, of course, variation on the legend, but basically the story I grew up with is about a man named Qu Yuan who loved his country very much.  He was an adviser to the emperor, but when a the emperor proved to be selfish and care little about the country or the people, Qu Yuan jumped off a cliff into the river to kill himself.  Because he was such a good man, the local villagers quickly made some riceballs wrapped in leaves (zongzi) and rowed out to drop them in the river so the fish would not eat the body of Qu Yuan.

I remember my mother making zongzi at home when I was growing up, though now they are readily available so we just buy them :P

This year Ano's mom gave us some vegetarian zongzi (she is Buddhist) she made which were really good!

Also made with healthy rice grains mix!
I went home for dinner and had another zongzi, one my mom bought
It... kinda looks similar...
They are really filling, essentially a complete meal-to-go.  With so much rice though, it is best not to eat more than one in a sitting I think ^^;

And a random photo of today's look:
Today's outfit
I've also got an instagram now!  My username is "_sparklewolfie_"  I couldn't sign up using the username without the underscores for some reason.  It said the username was taken, but when I did a search, no such user existed :/  I sent several inquiries but never received an answer.  I post some non-lolita outfits on there and other daily occurrences.  Let me know if you have an instagram so I can follow you as well!